Disability Benefits Under a Public-Sector Pension Plan

Is your state of health preventing you from doing your usual work? You could be entitled to disability benefits.

Are you entitled to disability benefits?

You can file an application for disability benefits if your disability is total and permanent, as provided for under the Income Tax Act. Your disability must be recognized by Retraite Québec's medical team. This means that your disability:

  • prevents you from holding the position for which you are reasonably qualified by education, training or experience;
  • will probably last until your death.

To apply for disability benefits, you must be a member of one of the following plans:

  • Government and Public Employees Retirement Plan (RREGOP);
  • Pension Plan of Management Personnel (PPMP);
  • Retirement Plan for Senior Officials (RPSO);
  • Pension Plan of Peace Officers in Correctional Services (PPPOCS).
Do you have salary insurance?

You should consult the person representing your employer before applying for disability benefits. If you have salary insurance, receiving disability benefits could be disadvantageous for you.

To be entitled to disability benefits, you must:

  • have a disability that is recognized by Retraite Québec's medical team;
  • cease to be a member of your pension plan;
  • be entitled to a deferred pension under your pension plan when you file your application;
  • not be retired.

If you are entitled to an immediate pension, you cannot receive disability benefits. You can, however, apply for your retirement pension. To find out the eligibility requirements, consult the document explaining the main provisions of your pension plan.

Amount and payments

Disability benefits in the case of terminal illness are an amount you will receive once. The amount is equal to the highest of the following:

  • the sum of the contributions you made to your pension plan, to which accrued interest is added;
  • the actuarial value of the deferred pension to which you are entitled on the date on which we receive your application.

If you have earned a pension credit, we will add the amount paid or transferred to obtain the credit, including accrued interest to your benefit.

We will pay the disability benefits into a locked-in retirement account (LIRA) or a life income fund (LIF) opened at the financial institution of your choice. No income tax deductions will be made. As a result, when you withdraw amounts from your LIRA or LIF, the amounts will be taxable.

How to apply

To apply for disability benefits, you must send us online or mail us:

If you are mandated to complete the application for a person who is deemed able to do so, you must enclose a power of attorney or protection mandate with your application.

If a judgment authorizes you to complete the application for a person who is deemed unable to do so, you must send us either a protection mandate and proof of its confirmation, or the judgment authorizing you to represent this person.

Medical report

Complete and sign the first section of the Medical Report for Disability Benefits Under a Public-Sector Pension Plan (RSP-502). You must have your physician complete the Physician's part. Your physician may ask you to pay a fee for producing the medical report. Send the report to us as soon as possible, or ask your physician to do so.

Other useful information

Top of page